I am grateful for school. Why? Because I can hold it over the heads of Certain Persons.
As in: Yeah, your friends have school until the 20th. SO DO YOU, SUCKERS.
So, here’s Monday:
1. Mom has a deadline. Mom must squeeze every nugget of free and down time into meeting this deadline. So Mom was up late last night and early this morning, and, the students hope that school will have to be cut short because of The Deadline. Let’s see how this will work.
The Gospel today featured the word, “retort.” We talked a bit about that: what it meant, and about its nuances. How “retort” is different from just “answered” or “responded.” Why it would be strange to read: “What time is it?” “It’s three o’clock,” he RETORTED.
3. Copywork: Are your kids copying Ratzinger today? If not, then they should be.
God’s sign is simplicity. God’s sign is the baby. God’s sign is that he makes himself small for us. This is how he reigns. He does not come with power and outward splendour. He comes as a baby — defenceless and in need of our help. He does not want to overwhelm us with his strength. He takes away our fear of his greatness. He asks for our love: so he makes himself a child. He wants nothing other from us than our love, through which we spontaneously learn to enter into his feelings, his thoughts and his will — we learn to live with him and to practise with him that humility of renunciation that belongs to the very essence of love. God made himself small so that we could understand him, welcome him and love him
5. Finish Across Five Aprils.
7. At down times, run off and play either keyboard or piano
(I have a musician. I’m trying to hold back and just let it be, but really. The piano is in the basement, near the door where we come in when we come in from the car. When we come in from the car, he heads straight for the piano. And then when he’s done with the piano, he heads to his room and plays the keyboard. On his own, outside of formal “practice,” without being told, he probably plays for about two hours a day.
It’s fairly thrilling.)
8. Mom work.
10. During Basketball, Mom heads to Taziki’s for Diet Coke and hummous, gives the manuscript a final pass, and ah….done. For now.
11. Minecraft. FINALLY finish reading Oliver Twist, an accomplishment which merits a post of its own. Die , Rose Maylie, die.