1. Prayer. One of the saints of the day leads to a discussion, tied into St. Francis Cabrini from last week, of what missionaries do and the role of religious women in the settlement of and formation of the United States.
Praying even our very stripped down version of Morning Prayer, I’m once again convinced of the superiority of vocal, traditional prayer, prayed in union with the Church. We add our own prayers – for siblings, grandparents, those suffering around the world, in thanksgiving for another day, another week – but offering them in the context of the Church’s prayer – the Psalms, Scripture, and the petitions – places them, and us in the right context. We may not know how to pray as we ought, but, as Paul says, the Spirit provides the words, and the way that the Spirit does this is through the Church.
2. Copywork. Since I knew the theme of the day would be space, I picked this:
The Sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent upon it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the Universe to do. –Galileo Galilei
3. During breakfast, and off and on during the day, they watched a recorded show: How the Earth Works: Will Europe Burn in Hell? which is about volcanic activity in southern Italy, especially the supervolcano that is in the Bay of Naples. Very interesting.
4. Math. Finishing up Linear Equations and Inequalities (7th) and starting on the Distributive Property (3rd) (AOPS)
6. Worked on writing with 7th grader. Continuing to talk about and laboriously shape a piece he’s writing on the experience of fishing a couple of weeks ago. Involved are discussions about point of view (He’s attempting to do it from both – the bait and the fish), lots of synonym searching, and an exploration of transition sentences.
7. Piano practice wafting from downstairs. Oh, and since one of his new pieces is “O Sole Mio” – watch a couple of videos of Pavarotti and then The Three Tenors singing it, and finding the lyrics.
8. Beginnings of a simple science observation.
Some things didn’t get done. Wanted to start Across Five Aprils. Eh, that can happen tomorrow.
Now….2 basketball practices & Cub Scout Den Meeting……..Extras for the rest of the week: Science Center homeschool class; basketball practice; piano lesson; Scouts; art class that one of the boys just started last week….
In other words…the usual…all over the place….literally….