Mine are after the jump.
- There’s no way an season-opening episode could match the frenetic tension of what had preceded it. Especially if you have been binging on episodes – there is probably going to be a little let-down of energy.
- I did enjoy the episode – you can see pieces being placed down, ready to move. My only hope is that they won’t move in totally predictable ways. That is to say – even Breaking Bad can get predictable, in that Flannery O’Connor-ish kind of way. As in – with O’Connor – you know a moment of violent grace will probably be coming, the only question is how and when. Walter White’s ego is about to burst through his chest, the only question is what will happen to wipe that smirk off his face, and how and when.
- I have faith that the way will be twisty and perhaps not what I expect. I hope so.
- The flashforward was intriguing, and I was impressed by Cranston’s changed demeanor. Again, though, I hope that the way to that Denny’s isn’t as clear-cut as all of us internet speculators are speculating..as in…Walt finally went to Witness Protection (but to be protected from whom? He killed everyone…) ..and is about to take some final revenge….etc.
- Magnets! Although I was less than blown away by the McGyver subplot and cheered when that truck tipped over (I had originally thought it would get stuck on one of those humps), I always like to see Jesse accomplish something. It’s good for his self-esteem.
- The look on Walt’s face as his son was extolling Hank’s heroism was a good clue as to yet another factor that’s probably going to fuel his trajectory into darker waters – he couldn’t stand to hear Gale extolled as some chemical mastermind, he chafes at Hank getting credit for anything. I think he was also a little miffed at not being received as a hero by Skyler. Pride. As usual.
- I’m sorry, I laughed at the first shot of Ted. I was impressed that he was still alive – I thought that was a good choice, and preserves a great deal of tension. The build up to that shot – Skyler’s look of trepidation and then suppressed horror made me wonder if Ted’s face would somehow look like Gustavo’s…but oh, poor shaved Ted in that contraption. Yes, I laughed. I’m an awful person. And of course, Skyler’s “Good” brought her closer to Walt territory than she probably realizes.
- And of course: I forgive you.
- *Perfect* ending. Brought it all together, tied it up..with a ticking bomb inside.
(Note: I am guessing there was a scene in the reel sent to reviewers that was cut from the final airing – the recapper at Vulture originally referred to a scene in which Hank is talking about the laptop to one of his superiors – I am guessing this still is from that scene – but it wasn’t in the episode that aired, and that reference was cut from a later version of the recap.)